TheXWalkthrough1 Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeMrTeunio's Game Reviews

4 posters

Go down

DeMrTeunio's Game Reviews Empty DeMrTeunio's Game Reviews

Post by DeMrTeunio December 14th 2012, 4:32 pm

Hello there, guys! I've decided to start making video game reviews on these forums.

I'll basically play through the game and then review all the aspects of it here. I will grade the games on a scale of 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, etc. with the maximum score being 10. NOTE: A lot of people who review games nowadays (IGN, for example) use a system where 1-7 is basically all bad, 7-8 is for mediocre games and a game isn't really good unless it gets a score between 8 and 10. I'll be using a more balanced system, where games can be considered bad from 1-4, mediocre between 4 and 6 and good between 7 and 10. I added this note because it seems nowadays people get really upset when a game they really enjoy "only" gets a 7.5 or something.

Please leave a request for me if you'd like me to review a specific game! If you'd like me to review a game to see what I think of it, feel free to do so and I'll review it! If you guys have any suggestions for me to change my reviewing style or something like that, I'm always open to that too. Please do make suggestions for games, it'll make these reviews a lot more interesting. I can play games on NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance and Nintendo DS. I might also be able to review a few games on PlayStation consoles and the Wii. You can always leave a suggestion for those, although I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to review them.

I'll try to add a review every week.

Enjoy the reviews and please leave a request for a specific game if you'd like me to review one!

Last edited by DeMrTeunio on January 9th 2013, 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
DeMrTeunio
DeMrTeunio
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Back to top Go down

DeMrTeunio's Game Reviews Empty Re: DeMrTeunio's Game Reviews

Post by DeMrTeunio December 14th 2012, 4:33 pm

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney review

DeMrTeunio's Game Reviews Phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-20051011041458992

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was released in 2005 for the Nintendo DS, although it was technically first released in an inferior state on the Game Boy Advance in 2001, Japan only. This Capcom game is one of the most unique games in history. It’s about a young defence attorney, Phoenix Wright, on his way to becoming one of the greatest in his profession. This concept is odd, to say the least. How can a game set in a courtroom even work? Capcom created a truly unique gameplay style for this game, and I’m pleased to report it doesn’t disappoint.

Storyline
The main strength of this game is definitely it’s brilliant storyline. There are many characters in this game, the three main ones being Maya Fey (a friend of Phoenix’), Miles Edgeworth (a prosecutor, and someone who could be considered the main “villain”) and of course Phoenix himself. All characters develop as the game progresses, which only adds to the experience. The good characters in the game are extremely lovable, the evil characters will genuinely disgust you and it truly makes you want to win your cases. The great story immerses you completely into the game’s world. If the story wouldn’t be so amazing, the game wouldn’t even be half as good as it is now. Every aspect of the game becomes better because of the story.

Gameplay
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney features a gameplay style unlike any other. Basically, the game switches back and forth between a point-and-click adventure game style and action sequences that are all about making decisions. While most people consider this game to be an action-adventure game, it really doesn’t fit in any existing category. The gameplay was one of the things that made me worry about this game, because the concept of Ace Attorney sounds completely wrong for making any kind of game. Capcom did an amazing job, however. The gameplay of Ace Attorney is amazing. While the point-and-click parts of the game, where you gather evidence for your cases, get a bit repetitive after a while, the court sections make up for that. The action sequences in the courtroom are incredibly exciting and, most of all, rewarding. Finally breaking a witness’ resistance after minutes of pushing and objecting feels glorious. This feeling is greatly enhanced by the music, which we’ll get to in a bit. One major complaint about the gameplay, and the game’s biggest flaw, is the lack of replayabilty. After you beat the game once, you’ll never have as much fun with it anymore. Buying this game is totally worth it just for the first time and it’s still impressive the next few times you play through it, but don’t expect the same sensation of thrill ever again after you’re done with the first playthrough.

Visuals
The graphics in Ace Attorney aren’t spectacular, but they get the job done nicely. The art direction is slightly cartoony, which does fit the mood of the game and the story quite well. There could’ve been a bit more attention to detail, but it’s impossible to complain much about the graphics.

Audio
The music is another one of the strong aspects of this game. The music is great as it is, and it also fits the different kinds of situations in the game perfectly. You’ll find the songs getting stuck in your head many times. Especially the music when you’ve finally reached a breakthrough in your case is fantastic and totally adds to the excitement. You won’t hear many sound effects, but they’re perfect as well. The decisions you take in the court sections are always accompanied by shouts from the characters, fists smash on tables and characters and crowds react to events in the cases. All of this adds to the immersion factor of the game.

Difficulty
You won’t find yourself having a game over” often in this game. In fact, I never even got close to having a game over. In the court sections, you have to make the right action on the right moment, but this is hardly ever difficult to do. The main difficulty in the game comes from collecting the clues in order to get the game to advance. The game is very linear, and you will always be picking up all the clues, but the order in which you have to do things is very specific and can lead to situations in which you have to try every possibility in order to find out what you have to do. The game isn’t difficult at all, but the point-and-click sections can be a bit frustrating at times.

Final verdict
I honestly wasn’t expecting much when I first started playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, but it completely blew my mind. The story, gameplay and music are all completely amazing. It’s a shame the point-and-click sections can be a bit frustrating and repetitive at times, but this really is a minor complaint. A bit more of a real problem is the lack of replayability, but this game is still worth it. The game might be less fun after your first playthrough, but that first playthrough alone means it’s worth every last penny. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is easily one of the best games on the Nintendo DS. Capcom made a daring decision when they made a game staged in a courtroom, but they made a brilliant game that’s unique in every sense of the word.

Final Score: 9.0/10

Last edited by IceRunner on December 14th 2012, 5:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
DeMrTeunio
DeMrTeunio
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Okami Kelvina December 14th 2012, 4:48 pm

Hello~ I want to request a review! Nice job writing the one for Phoenix Wright, BTW. OK, so if possible can you review Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky, if you can. xD

~Miyuki Frostleaf, Night Elf Druid of the Frost
Okami Kelvina
Okami Kelvina
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamzee Makara December 15th 2012, 8:39 pm

Hi! I will like to request a game for you! I would like you to review Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the Wii system. I would really like to know your opinion about it! Thanks!!!
Gamzee Makara
Gamzee Makara
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DeMrTeunio December 16th 2012, 8:04 pm

I’ll post my review of Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky in here sometime next week, hopefully. I haven’t completed the game yet. If you were wondering why I did Skyward Sword before Explorers of Sky, that’s why.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword review
Special thanks to Kayako Saeki for the request.

DeMrTeunio's Game Reviews 2d5fac0c0846cd466ec5c64a76cb3b8f

The Legend of Zelda is my favourite series of all time. The games have great music, perfect gameplay, a lot of content and the best level design of any series. The 3D Zelda games are some of the best games ever made. Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask are my two favourite games of all time, and Wind Waker isn’t far behind. Twilight Princess was just a little bit less impressive to me, but I still liked it a lot. Skyward Sword is a 3D Zelda game as well, but it’s completely different from the others. Nintendo tried something completely new with Skyward Sword, which was a very brave decision. Did it pay off?

Storyline
Zelda games have always had pretty solid stories, and Skyward Sword is no exception. In fact, it might be the best Zelda storyline ever. In the beginning of the game, you’re introduced to many interesting characters. Skyward Sword focuses a lot on the relationship between Link and Zelda, and it really builds the story around it. I liked this a lot, because this unique relationship and Zelda’s extremely lovable character really motivated me throughout the game. This, and many other unique and diverse characters, make Skyward Sword’s story something to be witnessed. There are some extremely touching plot twists at the end of the game as well.

Gameplay
The most important change Nintendo made with Skyward Sword was, of course, the introduction of full motion controls. Many people had their concerns. Do the motion controls in this game work? Well, yes and no. The technology behind motion control isn’t perfected yet and it’s not always very precise. The moments when this is the most noticeable is when you perform the Skyward Strike. There are situations where you’re keeping the Wii Remote as straight up into the air as possible, and the sword on the screen doesn’t point straight up at all. The motion controls aren’t always accurate, and it left me wanting more sometimes.
I still love the motion control system, though. The reason being that, well, it’s just fun. The motion controls may be new technology that’s not very accurate at this moment in time, but they do manage to achieve the most important goal they were designed for: to make the player have fun. Every enemy turns into a small puzzle because of the motion controls, and every single time you beat an enemy or a boss you’ll feel incredibly satisfied. The motion controls aren’t better than classic control by buttons, but I wouldn’t call them worse either.
There is one flaw to the gameplay I have more trouble forgiving. The game is extremely linear for Zelda standards. It feels like a string of areas you have to cover in order, which doesn’t really fit the spirit of the series. Zelda has always been about exploring levels any way you liked, giving the player a lot of freedom to roam around and enjoy the brilliant gameplay and music. Skyward Sword gives you very little room to explore, even while flying around on a Loftwing.

Visuals
The graphics are quite simply amazing. The Wii isn’t an HD console like the PS3, Xbox360 or the new Wii U, but the graphics in Skyward Sword show that it can still produce some amazing visuals. The graphics in this game are colourful, detailed and very sharp. While graphics usually aren’t very important to the game, the graphics in Skyward Sword really make the characters and areas in the game come alive. The graphics are much better than the already great graphics in Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword definitely deserves some praise in this aspect.

Audio
Good music can make a game a million times better, and the Zelda franchise understands this extremely well. Many songs that are considered to be some of the best video game songs ever come from the Zelda series. Skyward Sword, fortunately, delivers some more fantastic tracks. Koji Kondo, the man behind the music in Zelda since the original Zelda from 1986, still hasn’t lost his magical touch. Skyward Sword’s music is stunning. There is a great variety in tracks, that are always nice to listen to and fit the game’s atmosphere beautifully. This is easily one of the best soundtracks in the Zelda series. Heck, it’s one of the best soundtracks in any series.

Difficulty
This is definitely not a hard game. The fact that Skyward Sword is so linear takes away a lot of the challenge. Zelda games are traditionally quite easy when it comes to the combat, and the main challenge has always been figuring out what to do. While there are still many brilliant puzzles in Skyward Sword, you won’t find yourself getting lost often. The combat, though, is a bit more of a challenge than usual. While you won’t find yourself taking damage that often, it’s quite a challenge to beat certain enemies at times just because you have to figure out how and where to hit enemies and bosses in order to defeat them. This means the game was just challenging enough to stay interesting all the way through. Another thing this game does rather well is the increase in difficulty. There aren’t any parts that were suddenly a lot harder than what was just before them. The difficulty gradually increases as the game progresses.

Final Verdict
Skyward Sword devides Zelda fans quite a bit, just like Majora’s Mask and Wind Waker did before it. Some people hate the new direction the series has taken, some people refer to Skyward Sword as the greatest Zelda game of all time. Personally, I enjoy Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask and Wind Waker more, but I can still see the greatness of Skyward Sword. The music, graphics and story are all fantastic. The motion controls aren’t perfect, but they’re definitely fun to use. If only the game would let me explore a little more, I would’ve rated it a perfect ten here.

Final Score: 9.5/10
DeMrTeunio
DeMrTeunio
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple December 21st 2012, 2:12 am

Pokemon B2/W2 please.
Purple
Purple
Expert Poster